Saturday, September 20, 2008

feel-so-phies

I took a full seven days off from work and right now am cooling my heels in my very own house. I didn’t have to push too much to get this leave approved. Batman shift at work and two weeks of fasting did have an effect on my physical appearance. Now I don’t have to touch my access card until Wednesday :)

So, my first day at home, I slept until evening to have my body clock in sync with the time zone. Bangalore – Kannur, a time difference of 10-15 mins according to my understanding (don’t prove me wrong, I like it that way)

The second morning at home is usually spent updating my knowledge base. Mom tells me what all happened since my last visit. By afternoon I am enlightened with the stories of a few wedding, untimely death of our plumber, my tiny cousin’s exam results and so on.

Now let me tell you about this tiny cousin, who has a vague resemblance to Calvin. He had proclaimed at the age of three that he would ‘never’ go to school and my aunt became an icon of persuasion when she managed him to think otherwise. A couple of days back he came home with a scorecard, 9/50 in grade two maths. Even though it’s not big news for me*, it was like the key to a theory I was trying unlock.

My sister had the same problem in school. She was exceptionally dumb when she started schooling. Dad had to arrange for tuition when she was in first grade; the lady made her write A-Z for a week, the next day she pointed at ‘A’ and sister answered ‘ONE’. That lady never came back. Now she is doing her 7th semester engineering with an aggregate of 76%. On the other hand, when I was a kid I sang the entire book of rhymes when a poor guest asked me to sing ‘Humpty Dumpty’ and I still have my report cards with red and silver stars pasted on it. My engineering mark cards never had any stars in it; very often shining stars would hang around my head when the results come.

So my theory is that good and bad things are like two halves of a sine wave; without any external effort a good thing will turn bad and vice versa, in due time. If you put in enough effort, you can make the negative cycle a short one. But, how do you explain it when someone is born poor, lives and dies poor?!? Well, the negative cycle (his misfortune) was so long that he passed away before he could see the positive side and he could have done that by working hard.

This theory is still in its initial stage and I am open to criticism... All in the name of science...

*I have seen all the single digits in my mark cards; just a disclaimer, not particularly proud of it.

17 Comments:

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

good feel-so-phy :)

i like the way you write, probably because i can relate to most of what you have written in the post. especially, this one - "The second morning at home is usually spent updating my knowledge base. Mom tells me what all happened since my last visit.". : )

Srikanth said...

good post!!

Gagan said...

nice one !! :)

Satish reddy said...

gr8 due...

poo said...

ok so ur watching me when i write this? lol.. m nt scared. ;)

----------------well the comment on the post now..
two things: first is perception of good n bad.. second as of cycle. i heard somewhere.. that u'get one of three stages good..atleast.. childhood, adult or old..so adds on to ur last theory?

Satish reddy said...

dude..can i knw hw did u do those..labels..!!??

i mean those goin green,outdoor,myself n all..

insanely~positive said...

@ poonam

exactly... if you live a complete cycle, you get to see the high and low of life... so you will have a great childhood, adulthood or old age :) since the cycle usually begins with a positive surge, you always have a great childhood

AM STILL WATCHING YOU :p

Tanmay said...

good post..i like this RETURN VOLLEYS..

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

You know, I've noticed the same... you do atrociously bad during your early years and as you pass them whoa... you become good... and when you are 'oh-so-sexy' (intellect wise) during your early schooling... reach high school and all is lost in thin air... Weird...until I read your feel-so-phie...!!

Cheers!

Destination unknown said...

hmm..true...especially the enough effort part...no mater what if we truly wish to something and if truly work hard for it it not impossible 2 archive is what i believe...but in theory it sounds simple but difficult to put into practice..isnt it...:)

Unknown said...

good and bad things are like two halves of a sine wave; without any external effort a good thing will turn bad and vice versa, in due time. If you put in enough effort, you can make the negative cycle a short one.

Very good.

I like this part too:
I slept until evening to have my body clock in sync with the time zone.

tejuvinay said...

But, how do you explain it when someone is born poor, lives and dies poor?!? Well, the negative cycle (his misfortune) was so long that he passed away before he could see the positive side

first I dint expect to be anything positive in this blog as many keep their blog titles unrelated to the content !
but these words really struck me real hard in my brain !

great

Unknown said...

I am watching you too.

insanely~positive said...

@ all the good souls who read my post...


THANK YOU and pray that my cold gets cured by morning; I DONT WANT TO SPEND ANOTHER WEEKEND IN BED :(

Varun said...

good and bad things are like two halves of a sine wave; without any external effort a good thing will turn bad and vice versa, in due time. If you put in enough effort, you can make the negative cycle a short one.
---------------------------------
agree and disagree.There isn't such a thing as good and bad.There is only action and reaction.Or Inaction and inertia.
But yes,with Constructive action,you will get 'favorable' reaction

Anonymous said...

nice

Rabidparadise said...

You have an excellent writing style! Very easy to read!