Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Les Languages

If you have read any of my previous post you must have a fair idea about my literary skills. I was never good with languages, I still remember how my Malayalam teacher at the govt lower primary school, where I studied for a brief period of time, used to pinch the living daylight out of me when I found it hard to reproduce the jalebi letters he laid on the board onto my slate.

By the time I finished schooling I wrote neatly and sensibly, however, recently I found out that the neat jalebi letters I once wrote looks more like over stretched spring when written after a decade.

Hindi at school was an absolute nightmare. I hated hanging letters on a line, it’s double the effort and writing with dull HB2 pencils didn’t make things any prettier. Hindi grammar is still an unsolved mystery; pul-lingh and sthree-ling was okay for me until my teacher went on to explain genders in sun, moon and other heavenly objects. I found it unacceptable; you see these objects rotating naked in the sky and never saw anything on them that would suggest a gender, then why do you have to complicate a language for no reason? Isn’t that phool-ish?

This gender confusion did cost me a lot, my Hindi answer sheets looked more like arieal shots of American Civil War, with plenty of red cutting into few rows of blue.

To be continued….

6 Comments:

angel from heaven said...

Great ramblings I totally agree with you languages are tough especially as many have so many words with alternate meaning!! very confusing!!

CRD said...

languages can be really complicated dude :P

But if you really see dude, the more complicated a language is, the more its heritage and culture shines through. Hindi is a really romantic language. URdu is even more beautiful. The idioms, the phrases, etc...theyre wonderful....

Cheers
CRD

Vinayak said...

nice one
i will wait for it to continue

mk said...

languages to be learnt are always pretty difficult at the start but once you on it..you feel better..

but who wants to write things up if you have ur pc and easy asses to keyboard...??

keep penning!!

Sorcerer said...

I hated hanging letters on a line, it’s double the effort and writing with dull HB2 pencils didn’t make things any prettier


LOL!!! dat was great!!

PEACE be on earth..no more hangings!

Asmi Saxena said...

Agree with mk :D