Tuesday, June 10, 2008

its raining in the sea

.
I have taken a few days leave from work and now am at home in Kerala. It's been nearly a month since my last visit and I was looking forward for a break. I had thought of coming when the Monsoon is in full swing; but then its Monsoon, you can't predict anything.

It's been drizzling non stop for days and the place is so green and the air so fresh, I don't feel like going back to Bangalore.


* This is how our backyard looks like* There are muddy pools all around, frogs croaking throughout the night, really huge millipedes and other creepy creatures inside your house... its total fun.

In the evening I went to Payyambalam beach with friends, its 40km from my place. I visit this beach almost every time I come home. It was raining when we reached, and the beach was empty. Nothing gives me more pleasure than watching it rain in the sea.


We walked along the beach and met someone special, a sea snake. It must have been washed ashore in a wave, and the creature must have missed the trip back. It was struggling hard to move in the sand and I used a piece of wood to take it back to the sea.


* In the excitement, I didn't notice the shoot mode in my camera, Phil Mclight, and the picture turned out bad*


Later I felt stupid for not picking it with my hand, you don't get too many chances to hold a sea snake. I knew it wasn't a poisonous one, if thats what you are wondering. All sea snakes with fancy colors and designs are dangerous, it would be wise to stay away from them and this one was a normal one.

The snake had a tough time swimming against the strong waves and it kept coming back to the sand, then there was one smooth wave that came a long was into the shore. I believe the sea held its breath, it skipped the next wave and the snake disappeared into the deep.

I had met other interesting sea creatures on other beaches before, once it was a dead puffer fish. I wasn't carrying a camera then, so no pictures taken. Another time, it was a dead whale, a mighty 30 footer. I have the pictures in my Orkut profile.

Cheers to life
.

20 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a Keralite too and the monsoon so far has been very unpredictable here.

AG said...

thanks GOD...am a veggi ;)
that fish was huuuuuge

Keep Blogging
AG

Anonymous said...

Me again. Last time posted as anonymous. Was a mistake

Ayesha said...

Ahhh...made my nostalgic, I am from Assam and the rain there is just amazing!!!

Nothing like the rains in Delhi though...:(

insanely~positive said...

@ anonymous and aravind: so you guys know each other, huh? :p

@ ankit gupta: Veggie!! hats off to you. Something I can't even think about.

@ ayesha: I've heard about the rains in North West. It's better than what we get in Ker.

Anonymous said...

hmm a lovely eventfull journey to sea you have had!
I enjoyed the description. the flow was nice, and pictures are kool!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh!! That must have been some trip back home....I live in Mumbai and the rains here are different from anywhere else in the world :P But I wish I could be there and to see a sea snake??? Wow!! I wish *sigh*

Pranay said...

u seem to be an animal lover!! awsome yaar.. i really envy u.. u live in god's own country!!
and tht whale was HUGE!!! man! It must have been sooo exciting.. but the poor whale.. ohh...

Bleeding words said...

gr8 pictures in ur profile...

neatly written..

nice post...

insanely~positive said...

@ the above four :)

That whale was pretty huge. When I saw it, I didn't know whether to be sad or happy. Maybe one day I will see a live one... I hope so.

Sukanya said...

god!! i envy u!! whatta backyard dude!! who wud wanna go bk to b'lore frm such a view!!
saw d whale too.. was it in such a bad shape whn it washed up on d shore??

btw why is ur blog/orkut profile named aftr a movie??
n ohh.. thnx fr visitin my blog :)

man in painting said...

Nice post.Monsoons....we are all waiting...grey will be the predominant colour in this season...
me too blog.
love rains too
do visit..

Sukanya said...

m confused!!!

insanely~positive said...

@ nach balliye....

What's new in that? you are always confused...

Sach1 said...

:)
That was fun! I love rains n fishes too..
Kerela seems to be b'ful..

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

eniky naatil ponam...[I wanna go home, to Kerala]

Anonymous said...

Your photo of your backyard is terrific. It looks totally different to anything I've ever seen before, being from the U.S., even though I just spent the past 2 years in Abu Dhabi. Thanks for sharing that.

insanely~positive said...

Thanks for the comments people :)

@frances

Do visit India during monsoon, I'll take you around... and come prepared for all the nasty monsoon diseases ;)

alx said...

hey i just feel damn home sick aftr readin this.....our kerala s really beautiful....

v well narrated

Vinay Nihalani said...

Never heard of Snakes being washed away.
Anyways it was an interesting read...and wished had touched the snake.